Software Engineer, Runbooks Kernel
We're an early stage tech startup with a top notch distributed team, awesome investors and a laser focus on enabling happier engineers through better tools. We build Runme (transform markdown to runnable notebooks) and Marquee (the open source homescreen for VS Code). Our mission is to create a frictionless experience for engineers contributing to increasingly cloudy systems.
We're seeking a Software Engineer deeply vested in computer science fundamentals to focus on our Runme Kernel. This role requires not just technical expertise but also a keen understanding of the Unix philosophy and how engineers expect their tools to behave. Our Kernel, inspired by Jupyter Kernels and integrated into VS Code, serves as the engine that transforms markdown cells into executable code snippets across various languages and environments.
- Build and Evolve the Kernel: Work on our Runme Kernel primarily written in Go, turning markdown into executable cells across diverse programming languages.
- Systems Thinking: Leverage your strong Unix background to ensure that the Kernel integrates seamlessly with various system processes and environments, adhering to the principles of the Unix philosophy.
- Collaborate Across Teams: Work closely with frontend and backend teams primarily using Typescript and Python.
- Optimization and Scalability: Work on session state management, API integrations, and command execution processes to ensure scalability and efficiency.
- Code Review and Quality: Uphold standards for code quality, maintainability, and performance in a collaborative environment.
- Strong Computer Science Fundamentals: Deep understanding of algorithms, data structures, and system design.
- Technical Proficiency: Strong skills in Go, with a good grasp of Typescript and Python.
- Unix Experience: Extensive knowledge of Unix-based systems and a strong understanding of the Unix philosophy.
- DevOps and Systems Experience: Background in DevOps tooling, CI/CD pipelines, and a strong understanding of how engineers expect systems and tools to behave.
- Communication Skills: Ability to articulate complex technical topics clearly and concisely.
Nice to Have
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 6+ years of experience in software and systems development.
- Active participation in open-source communities.
- Comfortable in a startup environment, ready to pivot and adapt.
Why Work With Us
- Work at the intersection of DevOps, systems, and cutting-edge tooling.
- Be part of a culture that values respect, empathy, and open communication.
- Enjoy the flexibility and excitement of working in a fast-paced startup environment.
We are committed to building a company culture that fosters happy and productive people, which relies heavily on respect, empathy, transparency, direct communication and ownership. You can read more about our company values on our company page.
Stateful is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We do not discriminate against qualified employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by local law or ordinance.